Disneyland is 59Category: Travel
“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past…and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America…with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” Those words were spoken by Walt Disney on the opening day of Disneyland July 17, 1955. They were replayed on the same spot on July 17, 2014, marking the 59th anniversary of the “happiest place on earth.”
To mark this anniversary and to launch the beginning of the Diamond Jubilee year – the 60th anniversary – the press and Disney fans gathered for a special celebration. This celebration included 59 very special guests – Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy, Chip, Dale, Cinderella, The Mad Hatter, Merida, Lilo, Stitch, Belle, the Beast, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Gepetto, and 42 other well-known and beloved Disney characters. Noticeably absent were Snow White and her seven cohorts and Pooh and the gang. Perhaps they are waiting for a special appearance on the 60th anniversary. However, even without these missing characters, the festivities were filled with plenty of song, fun, and some great special effects, with spraying sparklers and confetti adding even more pizazz to the already festive occasion.
The 60th Anniversary logo was revealed. It features the iconic castle adorned with, what else but diamonds. The official launch of the 60th Anniversary will be next spring, and there will be plenty of great celebrations throughout the year.
Disneyland has provided millions of people memories that last a lifetime, and it will continue to delight visitors of all ages as it grows and gets even better, if that is possible. Am I a Disney fan? As if you couldn’t tell. Of course. Who isn’t? Darn few.
Disneyland is always a happy place. Even when you are down, it is the place that can cheer you up. It is the place where you can relive fun memories and make new ones. It is the place where you can go to either scare the wits off of you or sit back and relax and enjoy a calm ride with the children of the world. Whether you’re looking for thrills and chills or tame adventures with your favorite characters, you can find them here.
Here are some samples of attractions that have sprung up at the Disneyland Resort through the years.
- The Jungle Cruise (Adventureland)
- Alice in Wonderland (Fantasyland)
- Autopia (Tomorrowland)
- Enchanted Tiki Room (Adentureland)
- It’s a Small World (Fantasyland)
- Haunted Mansion (New Orleans Square)
- Space Mountain (Tomorrowland)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Frontierland)
- Pinocchio’s Daring Journey (Fantasyland)
- Star Tours- The Adventure Continues (Tomorrowland)
- Splash Mountain (Critter Country)
- Gadget’s Go Coaster (Mickey’s ToonTown)
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin (Mickey’s ToonTown)
- Indiana Jones Adventure (Adventureland)
The 2000s – Disney California Adventure
- California Screamin’ (Paradise Pier)
- Soarin’ Over California (Condor Flats)
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (Hollywood Land)
- Goofy’s Sky School (Paradise Pier)
- The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure (Paradise Pier)
- Radiator Springs Racers (Cars Land)
- We’ll have to wait and see.
Happy 59th Anniversary, Disneyland. Like a fine wine, you’re getting better with age.
About the Author
Francine Brokaw has been covering all aspects of the entertainment business for 20 years. She also writes about technology and has been a travel writer for the past 12 years. She has been published in national and international newspapers and magazines as well as internet websites. She has written her own book, Beyond the Red Carpet The World of Entertainment Journalists, from Sourced Media Books.
Follow her on Twitter
Like her on Facebook